Monday, December 6, 2010

Apply for an Employer Identification Number Online | Apply for an (EIN) Online? | Applying for EIN online?

Apply for an Employer Identification Number Online:

Check Out Our Interview-style Application

No need to file a Form SS-4. We ask you the questions and you give us the answers. After all validations are done you will get your EIN immediately upon completion. You can then download, save, and print your EIN confirmation notice.

This EIN is your permanent number and can be used immediately for most of your business needs, including opening a bank account, applying for business licenses, and filing a tax return by mail. However, no matter how you apply (phone, fax, mail, or online), it will take up to two weeks before your EIN becomes part of the IRS' permanent records. You must wait until this occurs before you can file an electronic return, make an electronic payment, or pass an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number matching program.

Important Information for Home-care Service Recipients

If you are a home-care service recipient who does not have an EIN, do not use the online application to apply for one. You must apply for your EIN using one of the other methods (phone, fax or mail). For additional information, visit the How to Apply for an EIN Web page

An EIN is a unique number assigned to your business by the IRS. The number has nine (9) digits in the following format: 12-3456789

All employers, no matter how small the business is, with one or more part-time or full-time employees, must have an EIN. If you pay contractors, or anyone for services valued at more than $600 in a calendar year, you may also need to get an EIN. Also, anyone who registers as a limited liability company, corporation, partnership, or joint venture must have an EIN.
At the beginning of the online EIN application process, you will be asked to check a box that best describes your legal structure. The legal structure for all Tax Exempt/Non Profit Organizations is found under the 7th option, View Additional Types, Including Tax Exempt and Governmental Agencies. Non-profit organizations include corporations, trusts, limited liability companies, and unincorporated associations that qualify for tax-exempt status under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 501(a) as described in Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization (PDF).