Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How to Apply for Green card in US? | Green card process in USA | Green card through job in USA

Who is a Permanent Resident in USA?

A permanent resident is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a "green card." You can become a permanent resident several different ways. Most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself.

The steps to become a permanent resident are different for each category and will depend on if you are currently living inside or outside the United States. The main categories are listed below. More information is available in the links to the left.

Here I am going to explain the process ,eligibility of procuring Green card in USA

Green Card Through a Job?

How to apply for permanent residence based on a job offer or employment?

If you want to apply for a green card (permanent residence) based on the fact that you have a permanent employment opportunity in the United States, or if you are an employer that wants to sponsor someone for a green card based on permanent employment in the United States, you must go through the following processes.

Unless you are eligible to petition for yourself (see the “Green Card Through Self Petition” to the left), most employment petitions require a job offer and require that the employer petition for the worker. Most employers petition for an employee using Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker. For more information on how to petition for an employee, see the “Working in the U.S.” link to the right.

Form I-140 download

Application Process

If You Are Living Outside the United States

You can become a permanent resident through consular processing when living outside the United States. Consular processing is when USCIS works with the Department of State to issue a visa on an approved Form I-140 petition when a visa is available.
If You Are Living in the United States

You can become a permanent resident through adjustment of status when living inside the United States. Once the I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, is approved and a visa number is available you can apply on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident. For more information, see the “Visa Availability & Priority Dates” and “Adjustment of Status” links to the left under “Green Card Processes & Procedures.”

Supporting Evidence For Form I-485

You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

Evidence of inspection, admission or parole into the United States (Form I-94, Arrival Departure Record)

If you have already been approved for an immigrant petition, submit a copy of the approval notice sent to you by the USCIS

Job offer letter from your employer

Two color photos taken within 30 days

Form G-325A, Biographic Data Sheet (for applicants between the ages of 14 and 79)

Form I-693, Medical Examination (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor)

This requirement will not apply to you if you are adjusting based on employment petition unless you or a relative own a percentage of the employer company

Any other evidence establishing eligibility.