Thursday, September 20, 2012

How to apply for EIN online ? | FAQ's on EIN online

Q. When can I use my Internet EIN to make tax payments or file returns?
. Immediately.
Q. Sometimes I don't know all the information required on the application. Why do I have to complete the application online when I can send in paper or fax with missing information?
A. When paper or faxed Forms SS-4 are received by the IRS with information missing, additional time is needed to process that application, delaying the issuance of your Employer Identification Number. Applicants can get their EIN much quicker if all the required information is completed.
Q. The legal name of my business includes the symbol for a dollar sign ($). Does the IRS accept symbols as part of a business name?
No. The only characters IRS systems can accept in a business name are: 1) alpha (A-Z), 2) numeric (0-9), 3) hyphen (-), and 4) ampersand (&). If the legal name of your business includes anything other than those listed above, you will need to decide how best to enter your business name into the online EIN application. Following are some suggestions:
If your legal name contains:Then:
A symbol or character, such as a “plus” symbol (+), “at” symbol (@), or a period (.)1) Spell out the symbol or 2) drop the symbol and leave a space. Example: If the legal name of your business is Jones.Com, then input it as Jones Dot Com or Jones Com
Backward (\) or forward (/) slashSubstitute a hyphen (-)
Apostrophe (')Drop the apostrophe and do not leave a space.
Q. What do I do if my entire address won't fit on your address line on the Internet application?
. IRS systems only allow 35 characters on the street address line. If your address does not fit in 35 characters, please make sure you provide the most essential address information (i.e., apartment numbers, suite numbers, etc). We’ll then validate the address you’ve provided with the United States Postal Service’s database and offer you an opportunity to make any changes to the address, if necessary.
Q. Are any entity types excluded from applying for an EIN over the Internet?
. No. All customers whose principal business, office or agency, or legal residence (in the case of an individual) is located in the United States or in one of the U.S. Territories can apply for an EIN online. The principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner, trustor etc. must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (Social Security Number, Employer Identification Number, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) in order to use the online application.
If you were incorporated outside of the United States or the U.S. territories, you cannot apply for an EIN online. Please call us at (267) 941-1099 (this is not a toll free number) between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Q. What kind of help can I get from the IRS toll free EIN number if I have a problem with the Internet application?
The IRS assistors will provide you an EIN via the phone if you cannot use the Internet application. However, IRS assistors cannot assist you with Internet problems. Call (800) 829-4933 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Q. What if I forget the number I obtained over the Internet?
IRS records will be updated immediately with your EIN. Simply call (800) 829-4933 and select EIN from the list of options. Once connected with an IRS employee, tell the assistor you received an EIN from the Internet but can't remember it. The IRS employee will ask the necessary disclosure and security questions prior to providing the number.
Q. Do all the EINs obtained on the Internet start with 20, 26, 27 or 45?
Yes. The unique prefixes (20, 26, 27 or 45) identify the EIN as a number issued via the Internet.
Q. Do I need a certain computer or software to obtain an EIN over the Internet?
. No. You can go to through any computer that has Internet access. You should have a current Internet browser, which will allow you to view and complete the application process. However, you will need Adobe Reader installed if you would like to receive a confirmation letter online.
Q. What if I have trouble or can't get my number over the Internet?
Please call our toll free number (800) 829-4933 to receive your number immediately over the phone. If you do not need your number immediately, you can write or fax to the EIN site for your state.
Q. Now that I have my EIN, when can I use it to make tax deposits?
Based on the information you submit on your application or if you indicate you will have employees, you will automatically be enrolled in the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System—EFTPS—so you can make all your deposits online or by phone. Within a few days you will receive by mail your EFTPS enrollment confirmation, as well as a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and complete instructions for using EFTPS. You will need to wait until you receive your EFTPS information in the mail before you can make a payment electronically. Once you receive your EFTPS Confirmation Package, you can begin making EFTPS payments.

Source : IRS website